This recipe was my first ever Instagram Live bake-along, on 27th March, the first week of our UK Lockdown. I thought I would share some recipes, live on the Instagram airwaves, to spread a little joy through my friends and followers!
This coming Friday will be my fifth bake-along - I did two over the Easter weekend, and our fourth week of lockdown - hopefully my baking joy is working for at least a few people!
I decided to start a little bit healthy, and to do something that hopefully everyone would have ingredients for in their kitchen cupboards. I also took some advice from my lovely friend, Derek, who told me about an amazing apple crumble treat he had eaten once on an aeroplane! I tweaked his idea slightly, and used salted caramel sauce in the bottom of my pie, but don't tell him!
Apple Crumble Pie
325g plain flour
3 tbsp sugar
4-5 apples (Bramley, if possible!)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cornflour
5 tbsp caramel sauce (salted if you like)
1 tbsp oats
1. Rub together 225g flour and 110g of butter to resemble breadcrumbs. Add enough cold water to bring to a dough. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 15 mins.
2. Peel and chop apples. Put in pan with cinnamon and 1 tbsp sugar, and cook gently for 5 mins until apples soften. Strain out excess liquid, and set aside to cool.
3. Roll out pastry to fill pie dish/tart tin. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
4. Rub together remaining flour, butter and sugar to breadcrumb texture; stir in oats.
5. Spread salted caramel sauce in bottom of pastry case. Add strained apple mixture. Top with oat crumble mixture.
6. Bake at 190°C for approx 45 minutes, until golden brown.
As ever, please don't forget to share your pictures of your bakes - I'm @misshelensbakes on Instagram and Twitter, and would love to see what you make!
Miss Helen x