Gareth and I are attempting to not eat refined sugar every day for June. We're also making sure we drink 2 litres of water as a minimum, and getting 5+ fruit/veg in, and trying to get some sunshine, and doing 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week as a minimum.
The first couple of days, I will admit, I was in a complete grump - I was so hungry all the time, and I don't do hungry that well! However, I seem to have mellowed out as we head towards the middle of week 2, for now, anyway - I'll keep you posted!
So, this week's bake is sugar free - full of delicious cheese, though! I'm using cheddar for this, but feel free to use a mixture of cheeses - parmesan works beautifully.
175g self raising flour
1 medium egg
2 tbsp milk
A pinch of salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 220ºC (Fan 200ºC/Gas Mark 7)
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the salt and pepper.
3. Rub in the butter until you get a sandy/breadcrumb texture.
4. Stir in the cheese, reserving a small amount to sprinkle on top.
5. Beat the egg and milk together, pour most of the mixture into the flour/butter/cheese mix - but reserve a little to brush on the top of your scones.
6. Bring together into a dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to approximately 1 inch thick, then cut into rounds.
7. Place on lined baking sheet, brush with egg mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and risen.
9. Leave to cool for 15 minutes, and enjoy warm with plenty of butter!
Please don't forget to share your pictures of your bakes - I'm @misshelensbakes on Instagram and Twitter, and would love to see what you make!
Miss Helen x