Is there anything better than the classic vanilla cupcake? I love fresh berries on the top of mine, in the ultimate summer snack - but they went down a storm topped with dolly mixtures at the school summer fayre a few years ago!
This recipe is super easy - and even easier to scale up - the secret is to weigh your eggs! Still in their shells, literally pop them on the scales. Whatever your eggs weigh, that's how much you need of your other cake mix ingredients. You don't even need to add the ingredients in the order below either - you could just throw them all in together and mix!
Classic Vanilla Cupcakes
65g caster sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla bean paste
65g self raising flour
150g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C Fan or Gas Mark 4). Line your cupcake or muffin tin with 6 cupcake cases.
2. Cream together 65g of butter with the caster sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs and 1tsp vanilla bean paste, and beat until combined; then fold in the self raising flour.
4. Spoon into cupcake cases, until approximately 3/4 full, and bake for approximately 15 minutes.
6. Beat together the remaining butter (75g) and icing sugar (150g) until light and fluffy. Add 1 tbsp of milk and 0.5tsp vanilla bean paste and mix well. Put into a piping bag with a star shaped nozzle and set to one side until cupcakes have cooled.
7. Pipe rosettes on top of the cupcakes using the vanilla buttercream, then decorate with your favourite toppings!
As ever, please don't forget to share your pictures of your bakes - I'm @misshelensbakes on Instagram and Twitter, and would love to see what you make!
Miss Helen x